Provided by: Georgeanne Brennan
total prep 541 calories/serving
This is one of simplest pasta dishes, popular at family tables throughout Italy. Freshly grated cheese is preferred, so often the pasta is accompanied by a chunk of Parmesan and a grater so extra cheese can be grated right at the table.
- 12 ounces spaghetti or fettuccini
- 1 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces Parmesan cheese, about 1/2 cup of it grated
- Bring the water in a pasta cooker or a pot to a boil over medium high heat. Add 1 teaspoon of the salt and the pasta. Stir well, then reduce the heat to medium and cook until the pasta is al dente, 9 to 10 minutes.
- Drain and remove to a pasta bowl. Pour over the olive oil and turn well to coat. Add the pepper, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and half the grated cheese. Toss again and taste, adding more salt as desired. Sprinkle the remaining grated cheese over the top and serve hot, accompanied by the remaining cheese, grated or served chunk-style with a grater.