Peach French Toast Bake
Provided by: Fine Cooking
- Cooking spray
- 1 large whole-wheat baguette (about 8 ounces)
- 4 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 cups frozen unsweetened sliced peaches thawed
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups plain nonfat yogurt (optional)
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup (optional)
- Coat a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Cut the baguette into 1/2-inch-thick slices and arrange them in a single layer in the pan.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the whole eggs egg whites milk and vanilla. Pour the egg mixture over the bread in the pan. Scatter the peach slices evenly over the bread. Sprinkle with the brown sugar and cinnamon. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Uncover and bake until it is slightly puffed and the bread is golden brown about 40 minutes. Top with yogurt and drizzle with maple syrup if desired.
- Eating Well Tip:
- Frozen fruit is nutritionally comparable to fresh and it is perfectly suited for baking and blending. In fact I prefer to use frozen fruit in a smoothie because it makes it ultracool and frothy. Just be sure to buy it unsweetened. I use frozen peaches in this recipe to make it an easy year-round dish but feel free to use fresh ripe peaches if they are in season.