Pesto Meatball Pizza
Pesto Meatball Pizza
Provided by: Lauren Braun Costello
Pesto is a secret weapon to save you prep time while imparting an unmistakable depth of flavor. Made with basil, olive oil, garlic, parmesan, and sometimes pine nuts or walnuts (there are many bottled nut-free options), it is a natural fit for a meatball. Adding meatballs to a pizza is a fun and simple way to make a one-dish meal that everyone in the family will love.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 3/4 cup fresh or dried breadcrumbs
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup pesto
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 store-bought pizza dough
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups grated mozarella cheese
- 1 recipe meatballs (recipe above)
- 2 cups steamed broccoli florets (optional)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- fresh basil leaves (optional)
- Gather these tools: cutting board, chef's knife, dry and wet measuring cups, measuring spoons, large mixing bowl, pizza dish or rimmed sheet pan, rubber spatula
- Preheat the oven to 450oF.
- To make the meatballs, combine the beef, breadcrumbs, eggs, pesto, salt, and pepper; mix with your hands to incorporate. With wet hands, form 16 meatballs, each about the size of a golf ball and set aside.
- In a large, heavy-bottomed skillet over a medium-high flame, heat the oil. Cook the meatballs until golden brown and cooked through, working in batches if necessary to avoid crowding the pan. Remove the meatballs to a plate lined with paper towels and let cool for 5 minutes. Cut the meatballs in half and set aside.
- To make the pizza, stretch the dough using your hands to fit the pan you have (round or rectangular), pulling the dough to the edges. Spread the sauce over the dough leaving a 1-inch border. Top with mozzarella cheese, then add the meatball pieces and broccoli florets, if using. Top with Parmesan and bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and top with optional basil leaves. Let rest for 2 minutes before slicing and serving.