New Media Publishing
Provided by: Michelle Huneven
This is a basic, satisfying pizza. It is open to endless variations: scatter it with capers, sliced mushrooms, or pitted olives (black or green), stripe it with anchovies or slivers of bell pepper. Substitute coarsely chopped arugula for the basil.
- Dough for one pizza, purchased or hand made (*see below)
- Simple Red Sauce (**see below)
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced into thin rounds
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
- 5 to 10 basil leaves, finely sliced into a chiffonade
- * Pizza Dough recipe
** Simple Red Sauce recipe
Preheat oven to 425 degrees (If using pizza stone, preheat for at least one hour)
- Sprinkle pizza pan, cookie sheet, or pizza peel with corn meal.
- Stretch, pat and/or roll crust onto pan or peel to desired thickness.
- Spoon and smooth tomato sauce lightly over crust (about one cup or less according to taste) to within half inch of edges.
- Arrange mozzarella slices on top of the tomato sauce.
- Place pizza in oven, in pan or, if using a peel, slide pizza onto pizza stone. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes, checking for doneness.
- Pull pizza from oven and slide onto cutting board. Quickly sprinkle first with grated parmesan, then basil chiffonade. Cut into wedges. erve immediately.