Poppy Seed Dinner Rolls
Provided by: Handmade Tv
- 2 envelopes of quick-rising dry yeast
- 1/3 cup plus ¼ teaspoon sugar, divided
- 1 cup warm water
- 2/3 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 5 1/3 cup poppy seed
- 1 cup unsalted butter, chilled
- 3 tabelspoons unsalted butter, melted
- Non-Stick spray
- Extra poppy seeds for garnish
- 1. In a mixer bowl dissolve quick-rising dry yeast and sugar in warm water and let it stand until the mixture is slightly foamy.
- 2. Attach the dough hook to the mixer and turn to speed 2 add milk, oil, egg, sugar, poppy seeds and salt
- 3. Mix well until everything is combined - about 30 seconds.
- 4. Gradually add flour to the batter and mix it until its smooth for about 1 minute
- 5. Combine flour and chilled butter in a food processor or you can a pastry cutter until the mixture resembles a coarse meal add this to the batter in the mixing bowl.
- 6. Turn to speed 2 and mix until the dry ingredients are incorporated
- 7. Knead on speed 2 until smooth, about 2 minutes longer
- 8. Add up to 1/3 of a cup of flour more if the dough remains sticky.
- 9. Remove the bowl from the mixer and cover with a towel and let it rise in a warm place for 30 minutes or until the dough nearly doubles in size.
- 10. Now coat 2 12-cup muffin tins with non stick cooking spray or butter.
- 11. On a floured surface knead dough for about 4 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- 12. Divide the dough into 4 equal portions and place one portion on a floured surface and refrigerate the remaining portions.
- 13. Roll out the dough to a 12x12x1/8-inch rectangle.
- 14. Cut the dough lengthwise into 6 2-inch strips and stack the strips to form 6 layers.
- 15. Cut the stacks into 6 equal portions, each about 2 inch squares.
- 16. Place each stack on their edge, cut side down in the prepared muffin cups. Repeat with the remaining dough sections.
- 17. Cover with a towel and let the dough rise in a warm place for 30 minutes or until nearly doubles in size.
- 18. After it has risen preheat your oven to 350 F
- 19. Brush the tops of the rolls with melted butter and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- 20. Bake for 25 minutes in the oven for 7 to 10 minutes.