Quick Cheddar Cheese Fondue
Provided by: Lauren Braun Costello
Cheese fondue is a fun, interactive way for the whole family to eat. Kids and grown-ups can dip everything from bread, fruit, vegetables, and meat in the fondue, made with protein-packed cheese and milk. While traditional fondue is made with Gruyere and white wine, this family-friendly version uses grated cheddar cheese and milk for kids of all ages to enjoy. Serve this fondue in a traditional pot or in a bread bowl.
- Fondue Ingredients:
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Fondue Accompaniments:
- baguette or sourdough bread cubes
- cubed apples or pears
- cubed cooked ham, turkey, chicken, or beef
- cooked broccoli florets
- cooked potato pieces
- grape tomatoes
- Gather these tools: cutting board, chef's knife, dry and wet measuring cups, measuring spoons, mixing bowl, whisk, medium saucepan, fondue pot and forks
- Using your hands, toss the shredded cheddar cheese with cornstarch in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, whisk the milk, mustard, Worcestershire, salt, white pepper, and nutmeg, stirring occasionally, until it is hot and begins to gently bubble. Using a whisk, gradually add in the cheese. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until cheese is melted and mixture is smooth and bubbling. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper if necessary.
- Pour the mixture into a fondue pot or bread bowl. Serve immediately with bread, fruit, vegetables, or meat with fondue forks or skewers.