Quick French Fish and Potato Stew
Provided by: Woman's Day
total prep 265 calories/serving
- 2 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 11/2 cups chopped onions
- 11/2 cups thinly sliced carrots
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 lb (about 4 medium) baking potatoes, peeled and cut in 1-in. chunks
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- 11/2 lb cod or scrod fillets, cut in 1-in. chunks
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Put garlic, fennel seeds, thyme and salt on a cutting board. Chop, then mash to a paste with the side of a large, heavy knife.
- Heat oil in a 4- to 5-qt pot over medium heat. Add garlic mixture and cook, stirring, 1 minute, or until fragrant. Stir in onions and carrots. Cook, stirring often, 5 minutes, or until onions are translucent.
- Stir in chicken broth and potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes until potatoes are tender. Stir in tomatoes, increase heat to medium and
- gently boil 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in fish. Cover and simmer 5 minutes, or until fish is opaque at center. Stir in pepper. Ladle into a serving bowl.
- Serve with French bread to sop up the juices.