Quick Pasta Sauce
New Media Publishing / Photography: Flat Art Studios.com / Stylist: Abigail Donnelly
Provided by: Georgeanne Brennan
total prep 252 calories/serving
Whenever it's hard to think of something for dinner, no one will be disappointed in this quick pasta sauce. Serve it over any pasta, from spaghetti to rotelli, accompanied by Parmesan cheese.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups canned whole tomatoes, tomato purée, or chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves or a pinch dried
- 1/4 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 2 mild Italian sausage, brown and crumbled
- In a saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. When it is hot, add the onion and sauté until translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté another 1 minute.
- If using whole tomatoes, chop them, reserving their juice, adding all to the saucepan. If using tomato purée or chopped tomatoes, add directly to the saucepan. Stir in the sugar, rosemary, and salt. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the sauce has thickened, about 20 minutes, stirring often. If using the sausage, add it now and simmer another 5 minutes. If not, taste the sauce and adjust for salt as desired.