Quick Shepherd's Pie
New Media Publishing / Photography: Flat Art Studios.com / Stylist: Abigail Donnelly
Provided by: Ian Knauer
Facing a mound of uneaten mashed potatoes? Celebrate. It saves you a step when making this hearty beef shepherd's pie.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (18- to 19-ounce) can vegetable soup (not condensed)
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 4 1/2 cups chive-mashed potatoes
- Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Add onion, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper and saute, stirring occasionally, until onion is golden, about 5 minutes. Add beef and 1/2 teaspoon salt and brown meat, stirring to break up lumps, about 4 minutes. Add soup and Worcestershire and bring to a boil. Boil until liquid in pan is completely evaporated, about 10 minutes.
- Preheat broiler.
- Transfer beef mixture to a 3-qt flameproof baking dish, then spread potatoes evenly over beef. Broil until potatoes are browned in places and heated through, about 8 minutes.