Quinoa Salad with Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Bell Peppers, and Arugula
Provided by: Curtis Stone
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 cups uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon finely diced shallot
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup English cucumber, peeled, seeded, finely diced
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup baby arugula
- To cook the quinoa: Heat a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and shallot and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add the quinoa and stir to coat with the shallot and garlic, then add in the stock and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to simmer gently for about 15 minutes or until the quinoa is tender but not mushy. Transfer the quinoa to a baking sheet to cool. Once cool, fluff the quinoa with a fork and reserve.
- To make the vinaigrette: Place the shallots and vinegar in a medium bowl. While whisking, slowly drizzle in the olive oil. Add the parsley and season the vinaigrette with salt and pepper to taste.
- To make the salad: Toss the cooled quinoa, tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, and arugula in a large bowl with enough of the vinaigrette to lightly coat. Season the salad to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon the salad onto 4 plates and serve immediately.