New Media Publishing
Provided by: Maggie Ruggiero
Rhubarb is pretty in pink but packs a pucker. And just for the record, don't get baking pan panic; a good thing to keep in mind is that the common 9-inch square pan is a 2-quart capacity and a 9- by 13-inch is 3 quarts.
- FOR FILLING:
- 2 1/2 pounds rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- FOR CRISP TOPPING:
- 1 cup oats
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle.
- Put rhubarb in a 2-qt baking dish and stir in cornstarch and sugars. Let stand 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cover dish with foil and bake just until liquid is just starting to bubble, about 20 minutes.
- While the rhubarb cooks, make the topping by combining all the ingredients and working the butter between your fingers to form clumps.
- Uncover dish and scatter topping over fruit. Bake until top is golden and rhubarb is tender, about 30 minutes.