Rice and Beans with Okra and Kielbasa
New Media Publishing / Photography: Flat Art Studios.com / Stylist: Abigail Donnelly
Provided by: Gina Marie Miraglia Eriquez
This is a quick version of the dish from New Orleans called Dirty Rice. Frozen peppers and okra just help with speeding up the process.
- 1 14-16 ounce pork or turkey kielbasa, quartered lengthwise and cut crosswise into ½-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 10 ounce frozen cut okra, thawed in microwave
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 12 ounce bag frozen bell peppers
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- Accompaniment: cooked long-grain white rice
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then cook kielbasa, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 3 minutes, transferring with a slotted spoon to a bowl. Heat remaining tablespoon oil in skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then cook, onions, bell peppers, garlic, and salt, covered, stirring occasionally, until softened and, about 5 minutes. Add okra, kielbasa, scallions and cook, covered until heated through.