Roasted Vegetable, Tofu and Pesto Panini
New Media Publishing
Provided by: Adeena Sussman
total prep 339 calories/serving
- 1 small eggplant, about 1 pound, trimmed and cut lengthwise into 8 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 zucchini trimmed, each cut lengthwise into 4 slices
- 2 small red bell peppers, seeded, each cut into 4 large pieces
- 1 pound extra-firm tofu, patted dry with paper towels and cut into 8 equal-size pieces
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 individual ciabatta or Italian rolls, split
- 1/3 cup prepared pesto
- 12 basil leaves
- 4 slices provolone cheese, optional
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Divide vegetables and tofu among 2 large cookie sheets. Brush both sides with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 20 minutes, flipping carefully after 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool to room temperature (if you like softer peppers, return them to the oven for an additional 5-10 minutes).
- Spread about 1 ½ tablespoons pesto on each roll, then layer with tofu and vegetables. Top each with 3 basil leaves and 1 slice provolone.
- Preheat a panini press or grill pan over high heat and brush with remaining olive oil. Grill paninis for 2 minutes per side, until cheese is melted. Slice each sandwich in half and serve immediately.