Santa Fe Quinoa Salad
Provided by: Food&Wine
At L.A. Bento in Los Angeles, chef Chad Aaland makes quinoa salad with three types of beans and house-pickled onions. This streamlined version with black beans and jarred cocktail onions is tasty, too. Restaurant Coverage from F&W Editors
- 3/4 cup quinoa, about 5 ounces
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1 small red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 cup(s) finely chopped cilantro
- 1 3-ounce jar cocktail onions, drained and finely chopped
- 1. In a medium saucepan, combine the quinoa, water and a pinch of salt; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat until the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Spread the quinoa on a baking sheet; refrigerate for about 20 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, toast the cumin seeds over high heat, shaking the pan, until fragrant, about 2 minutes; transfer to a blender. Add the lime juice and oil and blend. Season with salt and pepper.
- 3. Pour the dressing into a bowl and add the black beans, bell pepper, cilantro and cocktail onions. Scrape the quinoa into the bowl, season with salt and pepper and serve.