Seared Tofu with Baby Asian Green Salad
New Media Publishing / Photography: Flat Art Studios.com / Stylist: Abigail Donnelly
Provided by: Ian Knauer
Orange juice and soy sauce are the secrets to this flavorful vegetarian dinner. Chances are, you've already got them at home.
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons finely grated garlic (about 4 cloves; use a Microplane)
- 2 teaspoons finely grated peeled ginger (use a Microplane)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 pounds firm tofu, rinsed and drained
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 10 ounces mixed baby Asian greens
- Stir together orange juice, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, sugar, and a pinch of salt. Cut tofu into 8 pieces and pat dry. Gently toss with soy sauce mixture and let marinate 10 minutes. Reserve marinade.
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick grill pan over medium heat until hot, then sear tofu, turning once, in batches if necessary, until grill marks appear, 6 to 8 minutes per batch. Transfer tofu to a plate with a spatula. Add lime juice and remaining 1 tablespoon oil to marinade. Toss greens with dressing and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve tofu on top of greens.