Skillet Tamale Pie
Provided by: Woman's Day
total prep 742 calories/serving
- 12 ounces lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped scallions
- 1 jar (14 ounces) spaghetti sauce (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 box (8 1/2 ounces) corn-muffin mix
- 1 can (8 1/2 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 can (4 1/2 ounces) chopped green chiles
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- Cook beef and 3⁄4 cup of the scallions in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 2 to 3 minutes, breaking up beef with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink. Stir in spaghetti sauce, beans, chili powder, cumin and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 to 12 minutes to develop flavors and thicken sauce slightly.
- Meanwhile mix muffin mix, corn, chiles, milk, egg and remaining 1⁄4 cup scallions (mixture will be soupy).
- Spoon muffin mixture over beef mixture to cover. Cover skillet and continue simmering 12 to 14 minutes until top looks dry and a pick inserted in topping comes out with slightly moist crumbs.