Smoky BBQ Baby Back Ribs
Provided by: Gail Simmons
- 4 racks of trimmed baby back ribs
- 3 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup lightly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried ancho chile powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 cups store bought barbecue sauce, for serving if desired
- Prepare rub by mixing cocoa powder, brown sugar, paprika, salt, pepper, chile powder and cumin in large bowl together well. Make sure to break up any clumps. Place ribs on sheet trays and dust all over with rub ensuring to get it in all the cracks. Place ribs, meat side up, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate to marinate for 3 hours or over night.
- Remove ribs from fridge and discard plastic. Place in oven set at 325 degrees F. Cook for 2 1/2 hours until meat is very tender. Finish under broiler for 5 minutes to caramelize then remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Cut into double-cut ribs and serve with barbecue sauce on the side.