Provided by: Woman's Day
total prep 337 calories/serving
- Mix drumsticks and buttermilk in a large ziptop bag. Close bag, pressing out air, and turn to coat chicken. Refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to 8 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- Mix flour and seasonings in a large bag.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until very hot and rippling but not smoking.
- Remove drumsticks from buttermilk, letting excess drip off. Put in bag with seasoned flour; shake well to coat.
- With tongs, carefully add chicken to hot oil. Cook, turning drumsticks every 2 minutes, about 6 minutes or until golden brown.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Partially cover and cook, turning drumsticks occasionally, 18 to 22 minutes or until meat is tender and opaque near bone when tested with a sharp knife.
- Remove chicken to paper towels to drain. Serve right away.
- For the most tender, flavorful chicken, soak the pieces in buttermilk for a minimum of two hours and season them with plenty of salt and pepper. For a real southern-style meal, serve these with potatoes, black-eyed peas and biscuits.