Spanish Pork Chops with Rice
New Media Publishing / Photography: Flat Art Studios.com / Stylist: Abigail Donnelly
Provided by: Georgeanne Brennan
total prep 298 calories/serving
This is a quick, one dish meal. The rice, flavored by the pork, is cooked in the chopped tomatoes and their juice.
- 4 loin chops with bone
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 of an onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup long or medium-grain rice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 2 cups whole tomatoes, chopped, with their juice
- Season the chops on both sides with the salt. Heat a dry, non-stick frying pan over medium high heat. When it is hot, add the pork chops and sear, until golden in spots, about 3 minutes. Turn and sear the other side, about 3 minutes.
- Add the olive oil, and when it is hot, add the onion, bell pepper and rice. Cook, stirring until the onion is nearly translucent and the rice is opaque, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the black pepper and the herbs and turn the chops several times. Add the tomatoes and their juice, lifting the chops up to allow the tomatoes and juice to reach the bottom of the pan. Cover and reduce the heat to low.
- Cook until the rice in tender and the liquid absorbed, about 20 minutes. Serve hot.