Spicy Codfish with Zucchini
Provided by: Woman's Day
total prep 408 calories/serving
- 1/4 cup sliced or slivered almonds
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 3 medium zucchini (about 11/2 pounds), cut in 11/2-inch chunks
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 can (19 ounces) chick-peas, rinsed
- 1 jar (14 ounces) spaghetti sauce (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 pound codfish fillet or scrod, cut in 4 pieces
- Lightly toast almonds in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, stirring often, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from pan.
- Heat oil in same skillet. Add zucchini and onion and cook, stirring often, 4 to 5 minutes until onion is limp.
- Stir in chick-peas, spaghetti sauce, raisins, cumin, cinnamon and crushed pepper. Simmer uncovered 8 to 10 minutes to develop flavors.
- Top with fish in a single layer. Cover and simmer 10 to 12 minutes until fish is opaque in center. Sprinkle with toasted almonds.
- This recipe has a distinctive Middle Eastern flavor, so serve it over couscous or rice.