Tangy Salisbury Steak
Provided by: Campbell's Kitchen
The vegetable juice in this recipe adds just the right amount of zest to make ordinary Salisbury steak deeply flavorful and delicious.
- 3 cup V8® 100% Vegetable Juice
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup Italian-seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 1 egg , beaten
- 1 small onion , finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/9 teaspoon dried thyme leaves , crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1 cup regular long-grain white rice , cooked according to package directions without salt (about 3 cups)
- Thoroughly mix 1/4 cup vegetable juice, beef, bread crumbs, egg, onion and pepper in a large bowl. Shape the beef mixture firmly into 4 oval patties, each 1/2-inch thick.
- Heat the oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the patties and cook until they're well browned on both sides. Remove the patties from the skillet and set aside. Pour off any fat.
- Stir the remaining vegetable juice, thyme and garlic powder in the skillet and heat to a boil. Return the patties to the skillet. Reduce the heat to low. Cook for 20 minutes or until the patties are cooked through. Serve the patties with the rice.