Tex-Mex Pork & Hominy
Provided by: Woman's Day
total prep 412 calories/serving
- 2 -1/-lb boneless pork shoulder, excess fat trimmed
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium poblano chiles, cut in 3/4-in. pieces
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 12 oz regular or nonalcoholic beer
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp each chili powder and ground cumin
- 1 can (29 oz) hominy, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Serve with: sliced radishes, lime wedges and warmed tortillas
- Heat oven to 350°F. Season pork with 1/4 tsp salt and the pepper. Heat oil in a heavy 5-qt Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add pork and cook, turning to brown all sides. Remove.
- Add onion, poblano chiles and garlic to pan drippings; cook 2 minutes. Stir in beer, tomatoes, tomato paste, spices and remaining salt. Add pork and hominy. Cover and bake 2 hours or until pork is tender.
- Remove pork to a cutting board. Skim as much fat as possible off pan liquid. Shred pork with 2 forks in bite-size pieces. Return pork to pot; stir in cilantro. Serve with radishes, lime wedges and warmed tortillas.