Thai Crab-and-Green-Mango Salad
Provided by: Food&Wine
To create completely satisfying dishes, Thai cooks aim for a mix of sweet, salty, sour and bitter flavors. In his salad, chef Laurent Tourondel of the BLT Steak empire achieves that alluring combination by tossing tart green mango with cucumbers, a myriad of fresh herbs, a vibrant Thai dressing and plenty of delicate, sweet crabmeat .
- 1 cup(s) green mangos julienned, about 1 pound each peeled and finely
- 1/4 cup(s) plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 clove(s) garlic, minced
- 2 Thai red chiles, minced
- 3 carrots, finely julienned
- 1/4 cup(s) fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup(s) fresh tangerine juice
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoon(s) Asian fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) sambal oelek or other Asian hot sauce, optional
- 1/3 cup(s) water
- 2 large green mangos julienned, about 1 pound each peeled and finely
- 2 seedless cucumbers -- peeled, seeded and finely julienned
- 2 6-ounce bunches watercress, thick stems discarded
- 1/2 cup(s) shredded basil leaves
- 1/3 cup(s) coarsely chopped mint
- 1/4 cup(s) coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1 pound(s) jumbo lump crab
- 3 scallions, green parts only thinly sliced
- 1. In a medium bowl, combine the vinegar with 1/4 cup of the sugar and half of the garlic and chiles. Add the carrots and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the lime and tangerine juices, shallot, fish sauce, sambal oelek and water. Stir in the remaining garlic, chiles and 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- 3. In a very large bowl, combine the green mango, cucumbers, watercress, basil, mint and cilantro. Drain the carrots, shaking off the excess liquid, and add them to the bowl. Add the dressing and toss well. Transfer the salad to plates and mound the crab on top. Garnish with the scallions and serve.