The Modern Pea and Ham Soup
Provided by: TASTE
Choose frozen peas over the canned variety. The former are as good as fresh as they are picked when at their peak and frozen almost immediately, locking in the nutritional goodness and flavor.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 baby leeks, sliced
- 1 1/3 cups baby peas
- 3 cups good-quality vegetable stock
- sugar snap peas, for serving
- cured black pudding, thickly sliced, for serving
- pea tendrils, for serving
- In a saucepan over a medium to low heat, heat the oil and add the garlic and leek. Sauté gently until softened and fragrant. Add the peas and stock and simmer for 20 minutes. Blend while warm and spoon into separate bowls. Add the snap peas and slices of cured black pudding and scatter with pea tendrils. Serve warm.
- Cook’s note: Substitute black pudding with chorizo or other cured sausages and add a dollop of minted crème fraîche as a finishing touch.