Toasted Linguine with Tomato, Chorizo and Mussels
Provided by: TASTE
- 14 ounces linguine
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 14-ounce can Italian tomatoes, crushed
- 4 cups organic vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 pinch saffron, optional
- 1 17 1/2-ounce box frozen mussels with white wine and parsley butter
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 ounce chorizo salami, torn, optional
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Italian flat-leaf parsley,torn for sprinkling
- the lengths of pasta in half. Heat the oil in a wide, deep pan or saucepan until medium hot. Add the pasta and cook, using tongs to continuously toss, until it darkens. If necessary, add more oil or, if easier, cook in two batches.
- Blend the tomato, stock, garlic and saffron (if using), then pour over the pasta. Simmer uncovered for 5 minutes, stirring now and again, until the pasta is almost tender. Add the contents of the sachet of frozen mussels (don’t defrost), plus some of the wine to prevent scorching.
- Cover tightly and simmer for 5 minutes, or until the mussels have opened (discard any that refuse to open). Add the salami, season to taste and sprinkle with the parsley. Serve immediately.