Turkey Bolognese with Fettucine and Mushrooms
Provided by: Curtis Stone
- Bolognese Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, small dice
- 1 fennel bulb, small dice
- 1 large carrot, small dice
- 2 stalks celery, small dice
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 9 medium VERY ripe tomatoes (about 2 3/4 pounds), medium dice
- 4 ounces button mushrooms, quartered
- 12 ounces fresh fettuccine or tagliatelle noodles
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, torn into pieces
- 1 wedge Parmigiano-Reggiano
- PREPARE BOLOGNESE SAUCE:
- Heat a heavy medium pot (5 quart) over medium high heat.
- Add the olive oil to the hot pot and sweat the onions for 2 minutes, stirring constantly, or until they soften.
- Add the fennel, carrot, celery, garlic, and fennel seeds and saute until the liquid evaporates and the vegetables are golden, about 12 minutes.
- Add the turkey. Season generously with salt and pepper and cook until the turkey is golden brown, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the wine and cook until the wine has almost completely reduced.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, and mushrooms and bring the sauce to a simmer.
- FINISH THE SAUCE:
- Reduce heat and cover. Continue simmering very gently, stirring occasionally, for 1 1/2 hours, or until the sauce has reduced slightly and thickened.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- PREPARE THE FETTUCCINE:
- Just before serving, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the fettuccine in the water for 2 to 3 minutes or until the pasta is al dente.
- Lift the pasta from the pasta water to drain, reserving 1 cup of the pasta water.
- TOSS PASTA WITH SAUCE:
- Transfer the pasta to the sauce.
- Toss well with carving fork to combine and season to taste with salt and pepper, adding a little of the reserved pasta water if necessary to thin out the sauce.
- TO SERVE:
- Swirl the pasta into the center of 4 pasta bowls or onto a pasta serving platter.
- Mix some of the basil into the remaining sauce in the pot, then spoon the sauce over the pasta.
- Sprinkle the remaining basil over each bowl of pasta then grate the Parmesan over and serve.