Turkey Roasted on a Covered Gas Grill
Provided by: Woman's Day
total prep 191 calories/serving
- One 12- to 14-pound turkey, thawed if frozen
- Sourdough Bread Stuffing with Dried Fruit
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Place a medium-size disposable foil roasting pan (about 15 x 11 x 3-inch) on cold grill to check if grill lid will close. If necessary, fold in sides. Remove pan. Light one side of gas grill. Heat on high 5 minutes, then reduce heat to medium.
- Remove giblets, neck and fat from turkey cavities. (Discard or save for another use.) Rinse, then dry turkey inside and out with paper towels. Lightly spoon stuffing into neck cavity. Fold skin flap under back and fasten with skewers. Loosely stuff body cavity and close with turkey lacers or metal skewers. (You will have about 8 cups stuffing left.) Tie or clamp legs together. Twist wing tips under back. Rub turkey with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place turkey, breast side up, in foil pan.Insert meat thermometer (not instant read) in center of thigh next to body, not touching bone. Place pan on unheated side of grill, add chicken broth and close lid.
- Grill 11⁄2 hours, basting turkey twice with pan juices . Rotate pan a half turn (front to back) and grill 11⁄2 hours l o n g e r , basting once or twice, until a meat thermometer inserted in thigh, not touching bone, registers 180° to 185°F and center of stuffing registers 165°F. (To check stuffing, insert thermometer through body cavity and leave 5 minutes.) Save any drippings in bottom of pan to stir into gravy if desired.
- Remove turkey to a serving platter or carving board. Let rest 30 to 45 minutes for juicier meat and easy carving.
- If you want to cook the turkey unstuffed, grill as directed, reducing grilling time to about 11 minutes per pound. If your gas grill does not use lava rocks or ceramic briquettes, or if you have an electric grill, follow the manufacturer’s directions for indirect grilling.