Turkey Sloppy Joes
Provided by: Lauren Braun Costello
Sloppy Joes are an American classic favored among kids. Lightening it up with turkey and adding in some vegetables makes it a dish that parents can love, too. Serve on soft potato rolls or hamburger buns; just be sure to use a fork and knife because this saucy sandwich lives up to its messy promise!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 15-ounce can stewed tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 potato rolls or hamburger buns, toasted if desired
- Gather these tools: cutting board, chef's knife, dry and wet measuring cups, measuring spoons, large nonstick saute pan, wooden spoon
- In a large nonstick saute pan over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and cook the turkey, onions, and pepper for 5-6 minutes, or until turkey is no longer pink. Add the chopped stewed tomatoes, ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Divide the turkey evenly among 8 buns and serve immediately.