Provided by: Woman's Day
total prep 363 calories/serving
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 can (35 ounces) plum tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon hot-pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup bulgur wheat or 1 box (6 ounces) wheat-pilaf mix (reserve seasoning packet for cooking rice or another use)
- 1 can (19 ounces) red kidney beans
- 1 box (10 ounces) frozen corn kernels or 1 1/2 cups well-drained canned corn
- Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender. Stir in cumin, cinnamon and garlic. Cook 1 minute longer.
- Pour liquid from tomatoes into skillet, add the water, hot-pepper sauce and salt. Bring to a simmer, stir in the bulgur and simmer 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile chop tomatoes (in the can with kitchen scissors works well) and rinse and drain kidney beans. Add to skillet along with the corn. Cook 12 minutes for flavors to blend.
- The texture of bulgur resembles that of ground beef. This is especially good with a dollop of low-fat sour cream (or plain yogurt) and a sprinkling of chopped onions and fresh cilantro.