Warm Rice Salad with Peas and Mint
Provided by: Melissa Clark
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain rice
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, plus additional, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
- Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in a medium, heavy-bottomed saucepan with a tight-fitting lid. Add onion and shallot. Cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the rice and cook until grains are well-coated with oil, about 1 minute. Pour in the stock, 1 1/4 cups water, and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 14 minutes. Uncover pot, scatter peas on top of rice and cover again. Continue cooking until rice is tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 3 minutes longer. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- While the rice cooks, whisk together the lemon juice, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Whisk in the remaining 2 1/2 tablespoons oil.
- Spoon rice and peas into a serving bowl. Pour vinaigrette over rice and toss well. Toss in mint. Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary.