New Media Publishing / Photography: Flat Art Studios.com
Provided by: Maggie Ruggiero
Lately my gal-pals are all having cupcakes at their weddings. Dress these easy vanilla cupcakes up with sparkling sugar or tint the frosting to your heart's desire. They're one sweetheart of a blank canvas.
- FOR CUPCAKES:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- FOR FROSTING:
- 2 1/4 cups confectioners sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325°F with rack in middle. Line a 12-cup cupcake pan with paper liners.
- Beat sugar and butter together with an electric mixer until well combined. Beat in egg until combined then beat in milk, vanilla, and salt.
- Stir together flour and baking powder then beat into batter just until incorporated.
- Divide batter between cupcake liners and bake until pale golden and centers are just firm to the touch, 20 to 25 minutes. (toothpick inserted into center should come out clean.)
- Cool cupcakes in the tray 5 minutes then transfer to a rack and cool completely.
- When cupcakes are cool, beat confectioners sugar and butter together with an electric mixer on medium speed until well combined. Add milk and vanilla and beat at high speed until light and fluffy.
- Cupcakes, without frosting, can be stored up to 3 days in an airtight container at room temperature. Frosted cupcakes can be kept chilled 3 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.