West African-Style Chicken & Fennel Stew
Provided by: Campbell's Kitchen
total prep 392 calories/serving
All the great flavors of a long-cooking stew come together in less than an hour in this skillet stew featuring deliciously different ingredients like chickpeas, fennel, lemon and some kicked up spices.
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 12 skinless, boneless chicken thigh (about 1 1/2 pounds), cut in thirds lengthwise
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large bulbs fennel , cut in half and cut into 1/2-inch slices crosswise
- 1 can (10 1/2 ounces) Campbell's® Condensed French Onion Soup
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 can (about 15 ounces) chickpeas (garbanzo beans) , rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or cilantro leaves
- 2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Stir the cumin, paprika and red pepper in a small bowl. Season the chicken with the cumin mixture.
- Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until well browned, stirring occasionally. Remove the chicken from the skillet.
- Add the fennel to the skillet and cook for 10 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
- Stir the soup, lemon juice and chickpeas in the skillet and heat to a boil. Return the chicken to the skillet. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Stir in the parsley and lemon zest just before serving.
- Easy Substitution: You may substitute 6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into quarters lengthwise, for the chicken thighs in this recipe.