White Bean & Chicken Chili
New Media Publishing
Provided by: Kate Slate
total prep 368 calories/serving
- 5 teaspoons olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 large white onions (about 8 ounces each), cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cans (15.5 ounces each) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- In a medium saucepan, heat 2 teaspoons of the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes, and cook for 30 seconds, or until fragrant. Add the broth and water, and bring to a high simmer. Let simmer while you cook the onions and chicken.
- In a Dutch oven, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring often, until softened but not browned, about 6 minutes (reduce the heat if the onions start to brown before they're softened).
- Meanwhile, in a mini food processor, grind the almonds to a very fine meal. Add the milk and process to blend. Set aside.
- Add the chicken to the Dutch oven, sprinkle with the salt, and cook, stirring, until seared all over, about 2 minutes.
- Using a fine-mesh sieve, strain the garlic broth into the pan (and discard the solids). Add the almond mixture and beans. Return to a simmer and cook for 3 minutes to thicken slightly.