Provided by: TASTE
- 1 1/3 cups blanched almonds
- 6 cloves garlic, pasted with a little salt using a mortar and pestle
- 2/3 cup stale white bread crumbs
- 4 cups cold low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar or white wine vinegar
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 3/4 cups white grapes, peeled and halved
- Heat a nonstick frying pan, add the almonds and stir for about 10 minutes, to toast lightly. Using a blender, process to a fine powder. Add the creamed garlic, breadcrumbs and half the stock. Slowly blend to a smooth paste. Add the remaining stock. Blend again until smooth and pour into a tureen. Stir in the vinegar, black pepper and yoghurt. Season to taste.
- Chill for at least 1 hour. Check seasoning then ladle into deep bowls, sprinkle over the grape halves and pass the pepper grinder.
- Cook’s tips: Try raisins, apple or melon instead of grapes. If the dish is too salty, stir in some more yogurt.