Winter Salad With Rice Vinaigrette
New Media Publishing / Photography: Flat Art Studios.com / Stylist: Abigail Donnelly
Provided by: Melissa Roberts
December can be a bleak time for fresh vegetables, but this bright salad composed of fennel, celery, and cucumber is a fresh contrast to a hearty winter's meal.
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 7 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium shallots, halved lengthwise and very thinly sliced
- 3 (3/4- to 1-pound) fennel bulbs, tough outer layers and fronds discarded, halved lengthwise and very thinly sliced
- 6 celery stalks, very thinly sliced crosswise diagonally
- 2 (1 pound) English (hothouse) cucumbers, scrubbed well and unpeeled, halved lengthwise and very thinly sliced crosswise diagonally
- Mince and mash garlic to a paste with 1 tsp salt. Transfer to a bowl and whisk in vinegar, mustard, and sugar until salt and sugar dissolve. Add oil slowly, whisking, until combined. Whisk in shallots.
- Combine vegetables in a large salad bowl. Just before serving, pour vinaigrette over and toss to coat. Adjust salt to taste if necessary.
- Make ahead: Vinaigrette can be made 1 day ahead and kept covered and chilled. Bring to room temperature before dressing salad.