Wok-Fried Black Pepper Shrimp
Provided by: Gail Simmons
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 16 large shrimp, peeled and deveined, tail on
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper, fresh ground
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 cup julienned red pepper
- 1/2 cup julienned green pepper
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- Prepare shrimp: Make a deep cut in the back of the shrimp 3/4 of the way through. When they cook, this will allow them to open up.
- Set a seasoned wok over a large burner on high heat. Once wok is very hot add oil (pour it around the sides of the wok so it coats it evenly). Add shrimp and allow to sear undisturbed for a few seconds. Add pepper, minced garlic, minced ginger and stir well. Season with soy and stir quickly to cook shrimp through until they are pink. Remove shrimp from wok and set aside on platter.
- Add a little more oil to the wok and saute vegetables for 2 minutes so they still have their bite but are just lightly seared. Add shrimp back to wok and toss everything together for just 1 minute. Serve in a large flat bowl.