Provided by: Woman's Day
total prep 470 calories/serving
- 11/2 pounds zucchini, scrubbed and cut lengthwise in 1/3-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 pound ground lean lamb or beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, dried oregano leaves and salt
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2/3 cup uncooked converted white rice
- box frozen chopped spinach (cut frozen block in half)
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons stick butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 11/2 cups milk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Lightly grease a shallow 2-quart baking dish.
- Bring 3 cups water to boil in a large nonstick skillet. Add zucchini, cover, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Filling: Wipe skillet. Add lamb, onion and garlic. Cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink. Stir in cinnamon, oregano and salt, then remaining filling ingredients. Cover and simmer 10 minutes, stirring 2 or 3 times as spinach thaws. Stir in tomato sauce. Remove from heat.
- Topping: Melt butter in a 2-quart saucepan. Whisk in flour and cook, stirring 1 to 2 minutes without letting mixture brown. Gradually whisk in milk. Cook, whisking constantly, 4 to 5 minutes until thickened and smooth. Whisk about 1/3 the hot mixture into beaten eggs, then whisk egg mixture into remaining sauce. Remove from heat; stir in nutmeg.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- To assemble: Cover bottom of prepared baking dish with half the zucchini slices. Spoon on all the Filling, then cover with remaining zucchini. Pour on Topping and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until hot and bubbly and top is lightly golden.
- This classic Greek casserole is traditionally made with eggplant, which has to be salted and fried. Zucchini replaces it in this recipe, and rice is added to make the dinner a one-“pot” affair.
- Make Ahead: Can be made through Step 4up to 1 day ahead, covered and refrigerated. Add an extra 20 to 25 minutes baking time.