One of the women who made sexual harassment allegations against Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain more than a decade ago while he was serving as head of the National Restaurant Association received roughly $45,000 as part of a financial settlement reached at the time, Politico reports.
New details emerged Thursday afternoon regarding one of the women involved. Politico later reported that a female National Restaurant Association employee told two others that Cain made a sexual advance to her at a group event. Sources said that the interaction left the woman feeling "that her job was at risk if she didn't do it."
The news comes as controversy surrounding Cain continues to unravel after Politico reported earlier this week on accusations Cain faced from two women in the 1990s. The AP reported on Wednesday that a third woman came forward and said she was considering filing a workplace complaint against Cain over allegedly inappropriate behavior.
The New York Times reported on Tuesday that one of the other woman who accused Cain of sexual harassment received $35,000, a year's pay as part of her settlement.
The Cain campaign went on the attack on Wednesday night, alleging that Texas Gov. Rick Perry's team was complicit in pushing the accusations into the public eye. Perry's campaign has denied any involvement in the matter. Cain's chief of staff Mark Block backpedaled on that stance Thursday, accepting the explanation of Perry's adviser, Curt Anderson.
"Until we get all the facts, I'm just gonna say that we accept what Mr. Anderson has said and we want to move on with the campaign," Block said in a Fox News interview.
In recent days, Cain has made inconsistent remarks in addressing the controversy. He has also maintained his innocence.
Political Wire points out that Cain was recorded as saying in March of this year that he doesn't have any "skeletons in [his] closet." He added, "And what I have told people is if they come up with something to try to damage my reputation, they will have made it up."