Matthew VanDyke, American Journalist Who Joined Libyan Rebels Returning To US

Posted: Updated:

LINTHICUM, Md. — An American writer who went missing in Libya for months returned to the United States on Saturday night, telling reporters he went to the north African nation to participate in the uprising against dictator Moammar Gadhafi and was on a reconnaissance mission when he was captured.

But Matthew VanDyke, 32, said his mother and girlfriend didn't know when he set off from Baltimore for Libya that his goal was to support the revolution.

"You don't tell your mother that you're going to go fight in a war," he said. "When I got out of prison, I was going to finish what I came to do. So the past several weeks I've been in combat on the front lines in Sirte fighting Gadhafi's forces."

VanDyke, dressed in his military uniform with a scarf tied around his head, held up a Libyan flag as he walked out of the concourse at Baltimore Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport into his mother's arms. He was also met by friends and family waving flags and holding up signs. Later, as he talked to the media, his girlfriend, Lauren Fischer, arrived and planted a big kiss on his lips. The two stood hand-in-hand for the rest of the time he spoke.

Earlier this year, VanDyke was in Baltimore working on a book and film about a motorcycle trip across the Middle East and southeast Asia when he began to hear from friends in Libya about their relatives disappearing.

"I wasn't going to sit back and let this happen to people I care about and not do anything about it," he said. "I see how people are suffering under regimes like this and it's time for it to end."

VanDyke said he was on a reconnaissance mission in Brega with three other fighters with weapons in a truck when he was captured by Gadhafi forces. He was questioned once, he said.

VanDyke spent more than five months in solitary confinement in Libyan prisons. He said he sang Guns n' Roses songs to himself and tried to name all of the "Star Trek" characters to pass the time. He said he also suffered from the psychological effects of solitary confinement.

Fischer and VanDyke's mother, Sharon, held strong to their belief that VanDyke would return. Sharon VanDyke even traveled to Turkey with photos of her son in hopes of speaking to Libyan diplomats in hopes they could work to free him.

The two women enlisted U.S. Rep. C.A. Dutch Ruppersburger, a Maryland Democrat and ranking member on the House Intelligence Committee, who held a news conference in May to call attention to the situation. Libyan officials initially denied VanDyke was being held, but in July they acknowledged he was in custody.

When the Abu Salim prison in Tripoli was bombed in August, fellow prisoners broke open VanDyke's cell and he escaped. The fleeing prisoners made their way to a compound, where he was able to borrow a phone to call home.

He was pressured – by Fischer, the State Department and Human Rights Watch – to return home, but he wanted to finish what he went to Libya to do.

VanDyke said publicly that he'd remain in Libya until Gadhafi fell from power and that he wanted to look for friends who might have been captured or killed in the fighting. He said he didn't want to stir up controversy over an American fighter in the middle of the fight. Then he formally joined the Ali Hassan al-Jaber Brigade of the National Liberation Army of Libya. He displayed an identity card and award he said he was given by his commander.

Gadhafi was captured and killed last month. VanDyke went to Tripoli for the celebrations, he said, and soon felt that he could return home.

Around the Web

American Who Joined Libyan Rebels Returning to US - ABC News

Matthew VanDyke Returning Home « CBS Baltimore

Matthew VanDyke Returning to Baltimore - Arbutus, MD Patch

American writer from Md. who joined Libyan rebel fighters returning to US ...

Mother says son who was jailed in Libya, joined rebel fighters will return to ...

Formerly jailed American headed home from Libya

VanDyke set to return from Libya within a few weeks

Formerly Jailed American Headed Home From Libya