As the sexual abuse scandal involving a former Penn State football coach continued to create headlines on Tuesday, the tally of alleged victims may have risen dramatically. The original 23-page grand jury report alleged former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky had sexually assaulted eight young boys during a 15-year span, but FOX 29 reported that the number of known sex-abuse victims may be twice that number.
According to the FOX report, the number of victims is closer to 20.
Earlier on Tuesday, it was reported that a ninth potential victim came forward after hearing the charges against Sandusky on Sunday.
Sandusky was arrested over the weekend, while athletic director Tim Curley and school administrator Gary Schultz were charged with lying to the grand jury and failing to disclose suspected child abuse to the authorities. They two stepped down late Sunday night.
Head football coach Joe Paterno, however, was not a target of the initial investigation. The Pennsylvania state police commissioner said Paterno had fulfilled his legal obligation by telling university administrators in 2002 that a graduate assistant witnessed Sandusky sexually abusing a boy in a locker room shower. However, the commissioner added that Paterno may have had a moral responsibility to do more.
Paterno was scheduled to have a press conference Tuesday afternoon, but university president Graham Spanier canceled it. The New York Times reported that Penn State was planning Paterno's exit, but Joe's son Scott refuted the report and said he would be on the sideline for Saturday's game against Nebraska.
The Morning Email helps you start your workday with everything you need to know: breaking news, entertainment and a dash of fun. Learn more