Sweet Potato and Caramelized Onion Shells
Taste of Home
Provided by: Taste of Home
Recipe courtesy of Taste of Home magazine, November 2011.
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 21 uncooked jumbo pasta shells
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon sherry or apple cider
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup turkey gravy, warmed
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until softened. Add garlic powder and salt. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 25-30 minutes or until deep golden brown.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook pasta shells according to package directions. Drain pasta; set aside.
- 3. Stir the broth, sherry, thyme and pepper into onions. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is almost evaporated. Remove from the heat. Stir in sweet potatoes and Gorgonzola cheese.
- 4. Spoon into shells; place in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Cover and bake at 375° for 10-15 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with gravy.