Turkey Mushroom Sandwich Bowls
Taste of Home
Provided by: Taste of Home
Recipe courtesy of Taste of Home magazine, November 2011.
- 4 French rolls
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup dry vermouth or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 4 cups cubed cooked turkey
- Minced fresh chives
- 1. Cut a 1/2-in. slice off the top of each roll; set aside tops. Hollow out centers, leaving 1/4-in. shells (discard removed bread or save for another use). Brush tops and inside of rolls with butter; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 325° for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in oil until tender. Add vermouth, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is almost evaporated. Combine the flour, salt, pepper and cream; stir until smooth. Stir into skillet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Stir in turkey; heat through. Spoon into hollowed rolls; garnish with chives. Replace tops.