BOOKS

National Book Awards 2011 (LIVEBLOG)

11/16/2011 08:04 pm ET

Tonight, the National Book Awards 2011 are being announced by the National Book Foundation at an awards dinner at Cipriani - a handful of blocks from Occupy Wall Street, where apparently the police have tonight again seized all books again.

Anyway, the black tie event is hosted by John Lithgow, who had a book of his own out this year.

We're liveblogging the event, and discussing the nominated books as we go. Follow along, and join the conversation in the comments or by tweeting us @HuffPostBooks

11/16/2011 10:22 PM EST

From Jesmyn Ward's acceptance speech

"This is a life's work and I am only at the beginning."

11/16/2011 10:19 PM EST

WINNER: The Fiction prize goes to...

Jesmyn Ward, Salvage the Bones

11/16/2011 10:14 PM EST

Stephen Greenblatt's Acceptance Speech

"I find myself fighting back tears... partly because of the acceptance speech I heard before me... my book is about the power of books to cross boundaries, to speak impossibly across space and time and distance... what the magic of the written word is and about the strangeness of a poem written two thousand years ago, a great poem and a difficult poem disappearing for a thousand years, and then coming back."

11/16/2011 10:11 PM EST

WINNER: The Non-fiction award goes to...

Stephen Greenblatt, The Swerve: How the World Became Modern

11/16/2011 10:07 PM EST

Track it down tomorrow

@ sarahw :

Lithgow: "that was the best acceptance speech I've ever heard for anything in my life." Yup. #NBA11

11/16/2011 10:06 PM EST

Aye

@ The_Millions :

All in favor of letting Nikky Finney host the rest of #nba11 say "Aye"

11/16/2011 10:05 PM EST

Nikki Finney's acceptance speech

She is talking about the restrictions of reading and insurgency for slaves in the 1780s. It's a poetic response that we won't try to type, except: "Tonight these forbidden ones move around the room as they please... we shiver together."

She dedicates it to many people, including "Papa, chief opponent of the death penalty in South Carolina for 57 years."

11/16/2011 10:02 PM EST

Factoid about Nikki Finney

@ BookTV :

Poetry winner 2011 @nationalbook award is Nikki Finney, "Head Off & Split" - dad is frmr chief justice of S.Carolina Supreme Crt

11/16/2011 10:00 PM EST

WINNER: Poetry award goes to...

Nikky Finney, Head Off & Split

11/16/2011 9:57 PM EST

Thannha Lai's speech

"More than I ever could have expected from telling a little story about a time in my life."

Comments