iOS app Android app More

Snow Trails Winter Resort: A Huffington Post Travel Ski Resort Guide

The Huffington Post   Barbie Carpenter First Posted: 01/10/2012 3:17 pm EST Updated: 01/23/2014 6:58 pm EST

Snow Trails Winter Resort in Ohio is a popular destination for skiers and snowboarders. As part of a series on ski resorts, Huffington Post Travel offers our guide to Snow Trails, featuring all the key information snow lovers need to know before they hit the slopes.


The Basics

Ohio winters might not produce enough snow to sustain a ski resort, but Snow Trails Winter Resort, the first commercial ski resort in the state, is proving that a snow-sport-focused resort in the region can be successful. The resort sits in the northern Ohio city of Mansfield, about an hour's drive from Akron. Skiers can fly into the Akron-Canton Airport, which boasts the lowest airfares in the state. With $2 million in improvements for the 2011-2012 season, Snow Trails Winter Resort continues to grow, making it the go-to ski spot in Ohio.


The Mountain

Snow Trails Winter Resort's man-made mountain, Mount Mansfield, features a peak elevation of 1,475 feet and a vertical drop of 300 feet. Its longest run measures 2,000 feet. Due to Ohio's sporadic snowfall, which averages just 52 inches a year, the resort relies on artificial powdery snow to thrive. The typical ski season runs from mid-December to March. During the last five years, the average ski season spanned 91 days.


Trails And Lifts

Snow Trails Winter Resort's 200 acres include 17 trails, 60 percent of which are for intermediate skiers. The remaining 40 percent of the slopes are split evenly, with 20 percent catering to beginners and 20 percent appropriate for expert skiers. The competition trail is particularly difficult and reserved for expert skiers. The resort includes four triple-chairlifts, two double-chairlifts and ski and tubing conveyer carpets. Snow Trails builds its three terrain parks annually, and each park caters to one of three skill levels: beginner, intermediate and expert.


In The News

Snow Trails Winter Resort is well known in Ohio and throughout the Midwest as the first successful ski resort in the region. The resort boasts a remarkable list of firsts, including the first ski school, the first ski patrol and the first chairlift in Ohio. It offers a junior racing program, the Possum Run Racing Club, which welcomes intermediate-level skiers ages 6 to 18 to develop their competitive ski racing skills. Snow Trails also houses the longest snow-tubing lanes in Ohio, with 1,100 total feet of tubing lanes.


Cost

Daily adult lift tickets start at $35 on weekdays and $47 on weekends and holidays; children's tickets range from $25 to $37. For an additional $20 to $30, the lift-ticket prices include ski equipment rentals. The 9,000-square-foot rental facility offers a number of well-known brands, including Rossignol and Salomon. Regular Snow Trails skiers can purchase season passes, available for $245 for 12 visits or $460 for unlimited visits. A range of affordable skiing and snowboarding lessons are available at the resort, including group lessons for $69 and private, hour-long lessons for $45.


Apres-Ski

Saturday nights at Snow Trails feature live music performed by local bands until 2 a.m. at The Snowflake Loft. Special events throughout the ski season take place, including a winter season Kick-off Party, which also features live music, and a New Year's Eve Celebration. Skiers must leave the resort to dine somewhere other than the small snack bar, but the Mansfield area offers several options. They can head to downtown Mansfield restaurants such as Blossom's Cafe, Elms Tavern and Coney Island Inn, which offers all-day breakfast and hearty comfort food.


WATCH: Snow Trails Winter Resort



Snow Trails Winter Resort, the first commercial ski resort in Ohio, offers a wide range of winter activities.

FOLLOW HUFFPOST TRAVEL