WASHINGTON -- Is the District of Columbia government getting ready to crack down on the city's vibrant and beloved food truck scene?
That was the fear earlier on Thursday after a food truck blog relayed some unsettling news to fans of walk-up mobile food options.
Food Truck Fiesta reported that the city would soon start a new enforcement effort against the city's food trucks that would essentially make it impossible for them to operate:
Over the past week, District officials have been visiting food trucks and telling them that beginning on Jan 13, 2012, they will be ticketing food trucks that don't have a line formed in front of them.
News soon spread.
While the situation was confusing, it turns out it wasn't as immediately dire. At least not yet.
The Washington Post's Mike DeBonis checked in with various city and federal officials who said that the report was news to them. However, there is some movement afoot.
New food truck regulations will be published Jan. 20 in the D.C. Register. DeBonis reports:
Helder Gil, a lawyer and spokesman for the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs, said a 30-day public comment period will follow. After the agency decides whether to make tweaks based on those comments, they will be forwarded to the D.C. Council, which, pursuant to law, will have to pass a resolution approving them.
After the mid-day food-truck uproar, D.C. Mayor Vincent Gray took to Twitter to sooth frayed nerves.
He later tweaked his tweet, saying he meant to "assure," not "ensure."
Stay tuned ...
The Morning Email helps you start your workday with everything you need to know: breaking news, entertainment and a dash of fun. Learn more