Suzanne Somers On Her Biggest Regret And Greatest Success
share this story
For some post 50s, Suzanne Somers will be forever remembered as Chrissy Snow on "Three's Company," the screwball television comedy that aired from 1977 to 1984, or for her ThighMaster infomercials in the 1990s. But over the last decade, Somers has focused on her passion for cooking and healthy lifestyles through her "Sexy Forever" brand, as well as advocacy on behalf of women with breast cancer, a disease she was diagnosed with in 2001.
Somers, author of 20 books, recently published "The Sexy Forever Recipe Bible," which includes more than 400 healthy recipes, and launched an internet series that chronicles her stem cell breast reconstruction and recovery. She told Huff/Post 50 about her challenges as a teen mom, and what she considers to be her greatest achievement. Check out our slideshow on Somers' career highlights -- we found one of her very first television appearances -- and a video in which she describes her eight steps to wellness.
1. What's the one thing you know now that you wish you knew when you were growing up?
How to make a living.
2. Now that you're over fifty, what's the one rule you feel you can break with impunity?
Telling the absolute truth always.
3. What is the riskiest thing you've done in your life since you've turned fifty?
Driving the wrong way down a one-way street in downtown LA.
4. What ignites your creativity?
Accomplished people and a kitchen full of fresh organics for a great dinner.
5. What social or political cause are you most passionate about?
Alternative and integrative medicine.
6. What is the best advice anyone ever gave you?
You can do it.
7. What is your biggest regret?
That as a single teenage mother with no child support, I had to spend time away from my son looking for work.
8. What is your biggest accomplishment?
My 44-year relationship with my husband, Alan (Hamil), and raising a great son.
9. If you could say one thing to the next generation, what would it be?
Follow your passion and you will never work a day in your life.
10. If you could reincarnate as anyone or anything, what or who would it be?