Provided by: Joseph Erdos, Gastronomer's Guide
- for the Bolognese sauce
- 1 large yellow onion, cubed
- 2 celery stalks, cubed
- 2 carrots, cubed
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- pinch fine sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 28 ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbs Italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- for the ricotta filling
- 1 32-ounce container ricotta
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- for the assembly
- 14 sheets dried lasagna pasta
- 1 pound mozzarella, sliced
- 8 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated
- Make the Bolognese sauce: Add onion, celery, carrots, and garlic to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped.
- Warm a splash of oil in a large pot or Dutch oven set over medium-high heat. Add the ground meats and cook, breaking up bits, until no longer pink, about 8 minutes. Remove to a bowl and drain off fat.
- Refresh the pot with oil and add chopped vegetables. Sauté until very soft, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in tomato paste. Pour in wine and bring to a boil. Simmer vigorously for 5 minutes to cook off alcohol. Return cooked meats to the pot. Add tomatoes, Italian seasoning, and bay leaf. Bring back to a simmer and reduce heat to low. Cook, uncovered, until thickened, about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Check seasoning once cooked. Remove bay leaf.
- Make the ricotta filling: Combine ricotta, egg, milk and parsley in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Boil the pasta in liberally salted water until just short of al dente. Drain into a colander, return to pot, and toss with oil to prevent sticking. Brush the bottom and sides of a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with oil.
- Assemble the lasagna: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Add a ladleful of sauce to bottom of pan and spread evenly. Layer over crosswise with 4 sheets of pasta, allowing ends to turn up sides of baking dish. Line each end of baking dish with a sheet of pasta to form a collar. Spread about half the sauce in the bottom. Top with half the ricotta filling and spread evenly. Top with a third of the mozzarella and a third of the Parmesan. Repeat with another layer of 4 sheets of pasta, almost all the remaining sauce (reserve 1 ladleful), the remaining ricotta filling, half the remaining mozzarella, and half the remaining Parmesan. Top with the remaining pasta. Spread with remaining ladleful sauce. Top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan. Tuck the ends of the pasta into the baking dish using a spatula.
- Place the baking dish on a sheet of foil to catch any drips and bake lasagna until bubbling and brown, about 45 minutes. Let rest for 45 minutes before serving.