Chardon High School Shooting: Sheriff Confirms Incident At Ohio School

02/27/2012 08:46 am ET | Updated Apr 28, 2012

UPDATE 2/27/2012 7:26 p.m.: A second injured student died at MetroHealth Medical Center around 6:45 p.m. Monday evening, WOIO reports. The other student at MetroHealth is in critical condition, a 17-year-old boy is still in serious condition at Hillcrest Hospital and an 18-year-old girl is still stable at Hillcrest.

UPDATE 2/27/2012 3:07 p.m.: Authorities are not releasing the name of a teen suspected to be the gunman in a shooting at an Ohio high school Monday because he is a juvenile and has not yet been charged, Chardon Police Chief Tim McKenna said during a news conference Monday. The shooting killed one student and injured four others. Students have been reunited with their parents and the community is safe.

According to the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence, the Monday morning shooting is the worst at a U.S. high school in 11 months and the worst in Ohio since late 2007, Reuters reports. (Click to jump to an eyewitness report.) One of the four victims is in critical condition and undergoing surgery. A 17-year-old boy is in serious condition, an 18-year-old girl is stable and the condition of the fourth injured student is not known, Reuters reports.

According to The Plain Dealer, the family of slain 16-year-old student Daniel Parmentor issued the following statement: "We are shocked by this senseless tragedy. Danny was a bright young boy who had a bright future ahead of him. The family is torn by this loss. "

UPDATE 2/27/2012 12:08 p.m.: One student injured in the Ohio school shooting Monday morning has died, WKYC reports.

UPDATE 2/27/2012 11:20 a.m.: The FBI is reporting that five students were injured in an Ohio school shooting Monday, according to the Associated Press. All have been taken to area hospitals.


At least three students have been injured in a shooting Monday morning at Chardon High School in northeast Ohio, according to local reports.

The school was placed on lockdown after the incident reportedly occurred at 7:30 a.m., just before classes started. Students were soon evacuated from the school and transported to a nearby elementary school to be released to parents, WOIO reports. Other schools in the area are also on lockdown.

Chardon Police remain on the scene as the district is in "crisis mode," Chardon Community Coordinator Ellen Ondrey told Fox 8 News.

Police scanner traffic is reporting three victims critical and one stable, according to WYTV. Several of the wounded have been airlifted by medical helicopter, WKYC reports.

One student gunman has been taken into custody and weapons have been recovered. WYTV reports that the suspect was located by following his tracks in the snow. Initial reports suspected a second shooter, but the FBI believes there was only one gunman who was likely a male student, according to WKYC.

A parent told The Plain Dealer that the shooting occurred while students were eating breakfast in the cafeteria. A boy "stood up and started shooting, and then it was chaos," parent Jeannette Roth said. A teacher saw the shooting occur and chased the suspect, who still escaped.

About 1,100 students attend Chardon High, and all classes in the Chardon school district have been canceled for the day.

This is a breaking news report, check back for updates as more information becomes available.

The shooting was reported around 7:30 a.m. at the 1,100-student Chardon High School about 30 miles east of Cleveland, said Civil Deputy Erin Knife of the Geauga County Sheriff's Office.

Television news footage showed anxious parents escorting children away from a school building, and ambulances could be seen outside.

A spokeswoman for Cleveland's MetroHealth System said a medical helicopter was dispatched to the high school. Angela Kiska, of the Cleveland Clinic, told WJW-TV in Cleveland that two of the victims were transported to Hillcrest Hospital.

Bob Herp, a Chardon trauma nurse, was at a command scene at a local Wal-Mart store where he told WEWS-TV helicopters were on the ground.

Chardon Local Schools Community Coordinator Ellen Ondrey told WJW that police remained at the scene and that the school was still on lockdown late Monday morning.

All classes in the district were cancelled.

Students at the high school and middle school had already started their day when the shooting happened, but bus runs for elementary school kids were stopped, Ondrey said.

Parents of high school students were told to go to Maple Elementary School to pick up their children.

Chardon is a city of about 5,100 residents.