A delay in emergency response may have contributed to the death of a Miami sports fan who collapsed at Miami Beach club LIV early Friday morning, according to a Miami Herald report on the incident.
31-year-old Albert 'Floppy' Gomez hit the Fontainebleau's domed super-club after attending Thursday night's Heat-Knicks game at AmericanAirlines Arena. Friends told the New York Post that Gomez had been drinking alcohol and using cocaine before collapsing just minutes after arriving at LIV around 12:30 a.m.
Security performed CPR, but Gomez was pronounced dead after being transported by Miami Beach Fire Rescue to Mount Sinai Hospital. Medical treatment may not have been administered as quickly as possible, however. Miami Beach Fire Chief Eric Yuhr confirmed there had been a delayed response to The Miami Herald: "I know there was a delayed response and officially I know we had a reported partial system failure."
Yuhr said he is not yet clear on how long it took paramedics to arrive after dispatchers received an emergency call or why there was a delay.
But he said two Miami Beach fire stations had problems Thursday night with an electronic system that sets off alarms and bells inside fire stations at the push of a dispatcher's button. He said Fire Station 3, located nine blocks north of the Fontainebleau, experienced such a problem right around the time emergency calls came in about Gomez's collapse.
"It is very sad to see someone who was kind to all and had a very good heart leave us so soon," wrote an anonymous donor. "He will be missed by all who knew him."
UPDATE, 9 P.M.: A Miami Beach Fire Rescue spokesperson told NBCMiami that despite the delay in emergency response, an off-duty firefighter and paramedic who was also at LIV performed prompt CPR and even defibrillator shocks minutes after Gomez collapsed. A police report obtained by the Miami Herald said he drank six shots of tequila before snorting cocaine at the hotel.