Spicy Miso Ramen Noodle Soup
Provided by: Joseph Erdos, Gastronomer's Guide
Turn out a near authentic ramen soup with this recipe, which combines classic toppings and the convenience of instant ramen noodles.
- 1 package instant ramen noodles, flavor packet discarded
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium miso paste
- 1 to 2 teaspoons sriracha sauce
- 1 cabbage leaf, cut into chunks
- 3 shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 5 canned bamboo shoots
- 1 scallion, sliced
- 1 boiled egg
- 1 small square nori
- shichimi togarashi (Japanese seven-spice powder), for serving
- Cook ramen noodles according to package directions.
- In a small saucepan, heat broth until steaming hot. Whisk in miso paste and sriracha sauce.
- Meanwhile, bring a small saucepan of water, fitted with a steamer basket, to a boil. Add cabbage and shiitakes. Cover and steam until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add cooked and drained ramen to a large bowl. Pour over with hot miso broth. Top with cabbage, shiitakes, bamboo shoots, and scallion. Place a boiled egg half in the center. Garnish with nori and shichimi togarashi.